Front Page News

A Note of Thanks

Picture of MaryLynn Heron
A Note of Thanks
by MaryLynn Heron - Friday, 5 October 2018, 3:27 PM

October 5, 2018

Dear Cordova Bay Families,

September and October are months for reestablishing routines both at home and school. Thank you to all of our families for continuing to support good sleep hygiene with earlier bed times, sending such incredibly nutritious and delicious lunches, packed with lots of protein and low in sugar, and finding ways to build in some quality, unstructured play time for your children to support creative play which is so important to the development of critical thinking and problem-solving skills. We are grateful for your support and thank you for taking the time to start the process of building your partnership with classroom teachers.

Teachers look forward to meeting with you on Tuesday, October 23, Wednesday, October 24th and Thursday, October 25th (early dismissal days) for parent-teacher interviews. Some teachers will have alternate dates and times for parent-teacher meetings. Please connect with the teacher, at any time, if you wish to meet to discuss your child's progress. 

After your October parent-teacher meetings, I encourage you to have conversations with your child(ren) about successes to date and challenges that you can support. As children settle into more academic work, over the next three months, your words of encouragement and help with goal setting will be critical to their success and will surely be reflected in their December report. 

I would also like to take this time to thank you for keeping the lines of communication open between home and school. As per policy #1100, Parent Involvement, parents have the right and responsibility to be involved in their children's education. These rights co-exist with the rights and responsibilities of everyone who works in the school district, and with the broader community. I invite all interested parents to join me on October 24, 7:00 p.m. at Bayside Middle School for the annual Parent Involvement Meeting. This is a great opportunity to provide input through dialogue with members of our school and district team.

For all school board policies, please visit the following link: https://www.sd63.bc.ca/leadership-and-governance/policies-and-procedures Thank you to those parents who were able to drop by the gym and visit with Ms. Meausette and me, during our Open House Night in September, where some of these policies were made available. 

Other policies that parents may wish to review:

1010 Educational Philosophy

1100 Parent involvement

1110 Parent/Student Appeals

1210 Collection and Retention and Security of Student Records Under Freedom of Infomration and Protection of Privacy Act

1220 Parental Access to Student Records and Student Information

1350 Human Rights and Discrimination

6160 Internet Safety and Digital Citizenship

1360 Parent Complaints

2300 School Fees

3040 School Field Trip Policy

5540 Criminal Record reviews for Staff and Volunteers 

September was a wonderful month for our families to come together. It was terrific to see so many of you at our school Open House, and huge thanks to the PAC for organizing the yummy Red Barn BBQ. Thank you, as well, to our parent volunteers who supported the Terry Fox run in September, by marshaling the route for our students or cheering them on. Way to go Cordova Bay...we raised $563.20 during our Toonies for Terry drive! I am grateful to be part of such a giving community.

Wishing you all a relaxing Thanksgiving weekend with your family. 

Sincerely,

Mary Lynn Heron

Principal