Front Page News

My First Year Reflections

Picture of MaryLynn Heron
My First Year Reflections
by MaryLynn Heron - Thursday, 27 June 2019, 5:41 PM

Dear Cordova Bay Community,

I must admit that when I moved to Cordova Bay and learned that the school mascott was a cedar tree, I was more than curious and perhaps a bit concerned about how to make sense of this and ensure that I reflected this mascott in my work. So, as any good teacher would do, I dug in to some important learning. 

Having taught Gr 4/5 for many years, I reflected on my lessons regarding the Coast Salish. I was reminded that to the First Peoples of the Northwest the cedar tree was considered the "tree of life". It provided them with houses, canoes, totem poles and clothing - all of the essentials for living a life of connection to the earth and the beautiful area in which they lived. After only a few months with all of you, the Cordova Bay Cedars, I learned very quickly that as cedars you had given me the essentials to meet the challenges in my new school community: students who live and breathe our school social contract (take care of yourself, each other and this place) dedicated and caring staff and a terrific team of collaborative and kind parent volunteers. After a year of learning about Cordova Bay Cedars, I am even more proud to call myself one. 

Parents, you are key partners in education and your support this year has been tremendous. Thank you to each and every one of you for your volunteer hours (please do read the PAC newsletter, as it highlights so many of our amazing parent volunteers), your thoughtful feedback in the recent survey sent by PAC, your collaboration with my team to support your child's needs and the kindness that you have shown me as a new member of this community. 

I will continue to seek feedback from you, over the 2019/20 school year, with single question surveys that piggyback on some of your responses to my repeat/delete question in this year's spring survey. In the fall, keep an eye out for the survey questions in our weekly Wednesday communication posts from the office. Your input is valuable and essential - just like the cedar tree.

Wishing you all a summer filled with fun family memories and lots of sunshine!

Sincerely,

Mrs. Mary Lynn Heron

Principal