Front Page News

Orange Shirt Day

Picture of MaryLynn Heron
Orange Shirt Day
by MaryLynn Heron - Friday, 27 September 2019, 10:57 AM

Dear Cordova Bay Families,

As you are aware, the virtue that we have chosen to weave through our learning this year is peacefulness. A virtue that we all strive to cultivate in our daily lives, yet one that can be difficult, as we zoom through our busy days. I have no doubt that your weekends are as busy as mine; however, I encourage you to carve out some time this weekend to talk to your child about Orange Shirt Day. For information, please visit www.orangeshirtday.org

Orange Shirt Day, September 30th, is a day to honour Residential School Survivors, stand up against racism and bullying and come together with First Nations, local government, schools and communities in the spirit of reconciliation and hope for generations to come. It is also a day to pause and find some quiet moments to reflect on those things that contribute to our respectful school community. I encourage you to take some time, over the next few days, to chat with your child about what makes Cordova Bay school look and feel peaceful. It is a wonderful exercise to engage in, as students learn more about Orange Shirt Day, Canada's collective history and the Indigenous experience in residential schools. Students, as they mature, grow in their understanding of the importance of this day and are able to see the stark contrast of their experience to that of students who attended Residential Schools.This important time of reflection in their school community and at home creates a space for feelings of gratitude for all that we enjoy about our learning journey together. 

Wishing you a wonderful weekend!

Sincerely,

ML Heron

Principal