Weekly Communication - Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Picture of Tammy Cowley
Weekly Communication - Wednesday, February 17, 2021
by Tammy Cowley - Wednesday, 17 February 2021, 1:57 PM

UPCOMING DATES...

February 17

I Read Canadian Day  

February 23

EARLY Dismissal – Children dismissed at 1:48 pm for Parent/Teacher conferences.

February 24

PINK SHIRT Day - Students are encourage to wear pink to school!

March 1

Purdys Order DEADLINE

March 11

Purdys PICKUP (2:30-3:00 pm outside front of school)

March 11

SD63 & COPACS 1st Annual Parent Involvement Meeting – What is Mental Health? (See below for details.)

March 13-28

Spring Break – Students do not attend school.

SCHOOL NEWS...

*Thank you to parents for maintaining physical distancing at pick-up and drop-off times. 

New Mobile Health Check APP:  Families are encouraged to download and use daily the new mobile Health Check App.  

EARLY Dismissal – Tuesday, February 23rd:  Children will be dismissed at 1:48 pm for parent/teacher conferences.

Pink Shirt Day – Wednesday, February 24th:  

“David Shepherd, Travis Price and their teenage friends organized a high-school protest to wear pink in sympathy with a Grade 9 boy who was being bullied [for wearing a pink shirt]…[They] took a stand against bullying when they protested against the harassment of a new Grade 9 student by distributing pink T-shirts to all the boys in their school. ‘I learned that two people can come up with an idea, run with it, and it can do wonders,’ says Mr. Price, 17, who organized the pink protest. ‘Finally, someone stood up for a weaker kid.’ So Mr. Shepherd and some others headed off to a discount store and bought 50 pink tank tops. They sent out messages to schoolmates that night, and the next morning they hauled the shirts to school in a plastic bag. As they stood in the foyer handing out the shirts, the bullied boy walked in. His face spoke volumes. ‘It looked like a huge weight was lifted off his shoulders,’ Mr. Price recalled. The bullies were never heard from again.”   — GLOBE & MAIL

Families Not Returning to Cordova Bay in September 2021:  If your child will not return to Cordova Bay Elementary for the 2021-22 school year, could you kindly let the school know asap for planning purposes.  Thank you.  

SD63 & COPACS 1st Annual Parent Involvement Meeting:  What is Mental Health?  March 11, 2021, 7:00-8:30 pm.  Registration details to follow.

PAC NEWS...

Easter Purdys Fundraiser ON NOW:

• Online Ordering Only:  https://fundraising.purdys.com/join.aspx
  • Customer#: 9665
  • Deadline: Monday March 1st
  • Pickup: Thursday, March 11 (2:30-3:00 pm, Outside front of school)

Staying In Touch:

COMMUNITY NEWS…

Mountain Road Forest Project:  We are excited to share the news of a new forest in our Cordova Bay community.  You may have heard of Mountain Road Forest Project.  I listen to all points west during the week and I thought it would be a great way to share this project on air.  My daughter’s Girl Guide unit is working on ideas to raise funds by Earth Day for the CRD to purchase this land.  It is such an important and valuable undertaking to save green space for the children in our community.  Being in nature fosters a sense of wonder, being and knowledge while providing better air quality for humans and habitat for our local wild animals.   By spending time in the forest, we connect with the land, eco systems, native plants and animals at a deeper level. It is this connection with nature that opens us up to care more for the environment as adults.  As a nature preschool educator, I know this is true and have witnessed preschoolers becoming environmental activists during school age and beyond, my daughter included.   Please help us make this happen! Our children and communities depend on it.  I would love to hear from you and share more about this very important and current matter.  

Sincerely and greenly yours,

Sophie and Nève Suzuki, Cordova Bay Elementary Family

Saanich Parks, Recreation and Community Services:  Spring Registered Activities are open for registration starting today, February 17th.  

Cordova Bay Fastball – Register now for 2021 Season:  See below for more information.