Front Page News

Giving Thanks

Picture of MaryLynn Heron
Giving Thanks
by MaryLynn Heron - Friday, 8 October 2021, 4:27 PM

Dear Parents and Guardians,

Given my immense love of nature and gratitude for this beautiful area that we live in, it wouldn't be right if I didn't encourage families to spend some time outside after family gatherings this weekend! Enjoy your valuable time together and please check out some of my ideas for exploring nature below:

• Choose a day like Thanksgiving, Family Day, Black Friday or Boxing Day to #OptOutside instead of shopping or spending money on indoor pursuits. Check out more ideas here, as well as the Optoutside movement: https://www.childrenandnature.org/resources/a-dozen-ways-families-can-optoutside-every-day-of-the-year/
  • While outside, admire nature and demonstrate a sense of awe and joy in what you see while hiking, biking, skiing, swimming, etc. Children who routinely watch adults stop, look and listen to the wonders of plant and animal life also develop a sense of curiosity and wonder while in nature. Take time to ask out loud about the names and general biology of plants and animals that surround you. I have realized that knowing the name of each and every plant, tree or animal in a forest is not a prerequisite for nurturing a love of nature. Simply noticing the diversity that exists and being fully present to observe the changing sights, sounds and sensations of nature is critical to a child’s development in respecting and feeling connected to the natural world.
  • Keep a family journal of your nature wonderings. The answers to many of your questions are just a click away! That being said, I highly encourage paper and pen while in nature and internet searches for latersmile

I am grateful to have your support, your kindness and your open communication. I wish you a wonderful Thanksgiving with your families and hope that you will have some quiet moments to share your gratitude with your family. 

With gratitude for your partnership,

Mrs. Mary Lynn Heron

Principal