Front Page News

Celebrating our Community

Picture of MaryLynn Heron
Celebrating our Community
by MaryLynn Heron - Wednesday, 7 November 2018, 2:21 PM

Dear Cordova Bay Families,

On October 25, I had the absolute pleasure to learn about some of my students through their Diversity/Passion Projects. As I visited each student in the gym and watched them present their hard work, the light in their eyes and the brightness in their smiles said: I have choice in my day. My interests are respected and honoured. I have a voice!  I am part of a community who cares about me and wants to know me better. I am a learner who can share my learning with pride and confidence. 

Thank you to everyone who made these projects possible, and especially to the teachers who make every effort to support learning in many meaningful ways. I know only too well, as the parent of two children, that as parents our child's project often starts to feel like our own! Parents, your support is critical and also shows your great commitment to student engagement. Thank you to those of you who were able to come out and be part of this school event.

Another great community event this past month was the annual Hoot N' Howl! I am so grateful to our PAC who worked tirelessly to support this fun night. The decorations and photo booth were brilliant and all of the parent volunteers made the evening very enjoyable for everyone. Although it was a busy evening and lots of new people to chat with, I did squeeze in a brief chat with Trump! We exchanged thoughts on NAFTA which sadly ended abruptly when a VERY LARGE dinosaur showed upsmile 

Speaking of animals, I hope that if you came to the dance or have had a peek in the gym, you noticed the stunning murals painted by mural artist Steve Milroy. He showcases the beauty of Cordova Bay and the wildlife surrounding us. The murals remind us how fortunate we are to live and learn in this region.

You may also have noticed our learning garden which is looking a wee bit tired. Huge thanks to teacher, Mrs. Cathy Challinor, for working with Jenny Szulc, Growing Young Farmers, to support our school in getting our garden ready for winter. There are some fabulous folks behind the scenes, like Mr. Sangara, Cordova Bay parent, who is a great supporter of the garden and helps to source out supplies for us. Thank you everyone!

Our community has heart and it is seen in our garden and in initiatives like Coats for Kids (thank you Naomi Squires, Gr 3 student for organizing this again this year). Thank you also to all of our families who were able to donate a gently used coat for families in need. Additionally, we have a book sale that will take place on Thursday, Dec 6 from 8:00-4:00 for local families in need. Please feel free to drop off your used books to the table just outside the office, prior to Dec 6th. Thank you to teachers Ms. Fitz and Mrs. Nelles for spearheading this community event. 

As the holidays fast approach and we find ourselves spinning with busy to-do lists, take a few minutes to consider a helpful mindful parenting course being offered here at Cordova Bay on Saturday, December 1. You can find out more about this course at:

https://livingthismoment.ca/event/mindful-parenting-caring-for-our-children-caring-for-ourselves/ 

I hope to see some of you there.

Please join us this Friday for our Remembrance Day Assembly at 10:00. Our students have prepared many thoughtful songs and messages to share. We will also have the Cordova Bay 55+ Blue Heron Singers join us at our assembly, and of course, our school choir will perform a song as well. I am certain that the assembly will be a cause for reflection on what it means to live, learn, work and play where there is peace.

Sincerely,

Mary Lynn Heron

Principal