Front Page News

Welcome Back

Picture of MaryLynn Heron
Welcome Back
by MaryLynn Heron - Friday, 6 September 2019, 10:48 AM

Dear Cordova Bay Families,

Thank you for supporting your child(ren) this week, as they transition back to school and extra-curricular routines. As a parent of a 15 and 12 year old, I know how hard it is to set earlier bed times and manage the anxious feelings around the changes for a new school year. For some students, everything is new - teachers, friends, school, before and after school care, activities...the list goes on. Please trust that our staff at Cordova Bay are highly skilled, educational professionals who are able to support your child's transition and provide a safe classroom environment so that your child can settle in to all of the newness. This is not to say that this transition will be easy for all students, as some will experience a longer settling in process than others. It is my experience, as an educator since 1995, that the concerns of the first week soon disappear and that students adapt, thrive and make many new friendships in their new classes. They form bonds quickly and establish routines that create comfort and calm for them to begin their year.

This weekend, thank you for providing your child(ren) with lots of extra time to rest and rejuvenate after what was surely an emotion-packed week. Encourage them to celebrate all of the positive aspects of their new class, teacher and peer group. Let them know that whether it is a Grade 1/2, 2 or 2/3 class, for example, teachers are highly skilled in meeting student needs and ensuring that the students who excel in an area have the enrichment and extension activities needed and that the students who need extra help, in any area, will also get a helping hand when necessary. 

Thank you for your ongoing support of our class placement process and for supporting your child(ren) in managing the changes that they will experience this year, this week and each day, as they learn and grow with us. 

We hope you will join your school PAC (PAC President, Heidi Low), along with Ms. Meausette, School VP, and me at the upcoming PAC meeting on September 17 from 7-8 p.m. This is a wonderful opportunity to learn more about school and district processes, as well as the exciting plans and activities organized for the 19/20 school year.

Sincerely,

Mrs. ML Heron